Jonathan Kirby, the 56-year-old man charged with breaking into LL Cool J's home, pleaded not guilty to first-degree burglary with a person present at a Los Angeles court on Tuesday, August 28.
Kirby, who authorities say is a transient, was hospitalized with a broken nose, jaw and ribs after the "NCIS: Los Angeles" actor and hip hop star confronted and overpowered him inside his house's kitchen last Wednesday. He was given the felony charge the following day and faces a maximum sentence of 38 years to life in prison if convicted, prosecutors say. His bail was set at $1.1 million.
They add that Kirby has used different names over the years, according to KABC Television, OTRC.com's parent company. Prosecutors said last week they charged Kirby as "a Third Striker." He has a criminal history, most notably - a voluntary manslaughter conviction in Texas in 1998. He was sentenced to six years in prison and released on parole after a year.
In 1990, he was arrested on a prostitution-related charge in West Hollywood. Five years later, he was convicted of felony residential burglary. He has also been convicted of auto and petty theft.
LL Cool J, whose real name is James Smith, was not injured during his confrontation with Kirby. He pinned and punched the suspect several times and held him until police came and arrested him, KABC Television said.
LL Cool J did not appear in court. The actor's rep released a statement after his encounter with Kirby, saying: "LL CooL J, and his family, are safe and thank everyone for their thoughts and concern," the star's rep said in a statement obtained by OnTheRedCarpet.com. "As a father, husband and citizen, he is committed to keeping his family safe and is cooperating with authorities on this private matter."