• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

San Bernardino to release spending plan

The San Bernardino City Hall exterior is seen in this file photo from Tuesday, July 10, 2012.
August 29, 2012 12:00:00 AM PDT
The city of San Bernardino will release more details on Wednesday about a plan to emerge from bankruptcy.

The city is $45 million in the red and filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this month.

City leaders are expected to present a spending plan during the City Council meeting and lay out a proposal for some organizational restructuring that includes cutting 30 percent from its operations. The cuts will not only mean a loss of jobs but also possible reductions in some services. Some of those details could come out in closed session since they are part of the bankruptcy proceedings.

Councilman Rikke van Johnson said the city is losing $125,000 per day without a plan in place.

"We're at the point where we don't have a choice," he said. "We have to make some quick calculations and those can only come through cuts."

Tim Prince, a longtime resident and attorney, is leading an effort to recall the city's mayor, the city attorney and council members.

"The city has failed to do its job for the taxpayers and that means all public officials should be held accountable," Prince said. "The city's budget is central to its operations and we've had a problem of not being able to pass a budget that's balanced that makes sense. And so now at the 11th hour to rush in a budget that nobody's had a chance to read, as a taxpayer, I resent that."


Load Comments