• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Anaheim police officers involved in July fatal shootings back on job

Protesters hold up a sign in response to two fatal officer-involved shootings by Anaheim police.
September 6, 2012 12:00:00 AM PDT
The Anaheim police officers involved in two deadly shootings are back on their beats.

Both officers returned to work on Tuesday after being cleared by a psychologist. The officers had been on paid leave, which is standard protocol. Sgt. Bob Dunn with Anaheim police said the department has decided against naming the officers, because they and the city have received threats.

The back-to-back shootings sparked massive demonstrations - some of which turned violent at times.

Manuel Diaz, the first man to be fatally shot by police, was shot and killed by police on July 21. Officers said Diaz failed to heed orders, threw something as he fled police and then was killed when he reached for his waistband. Police say Diaz was a documented gang member from Santa Ana with a criminal record. It was later confirmed that Diaz was not armed.

Police also shot and killed Joel Acevedo, a documented gang member from Anaheim, according to police. Officials say Acevedo shot at officers at the end of a pursuit July 22 in a stolen SUV.


Load Comments