The production company of producer Bob Banner, who died last year, is suing TV legend Carol Burnett and her firm, saying the man co-created her comedy series "The Carol Burnett Show" and is owed compensation.
Bob Banner Associates (BBA) is demanding profits made from a distribution deal struck earlier this year to release the series on home video. The company filed the lawsuit on Wednesday and it was posted by The Hollywood Reporter. Burnett, 79, has not commented.
BBA says in the lawsuit that Banner had worked with Burnett and her own firm, Burngood Productions, from about 1967 to 1972 to create what later became "The Carol Burnett Show," which was later made into a spin-off. Both have aired in syndication.
BBA claims closing credits for the episodes produced during that time indentify the company as a co-owner of the show's copyrights. The company says that in 1969, Burnett's production firm began to register to obtain copyrights over more episodes and did not name BBA at all.
Banner stopped being involved with "The Carol Burnett Show" around 1972, after which the series lasted another six years. In addition to profits from home video distribution, BBA is demanding an accounting of revenue and profits and punitive damages.
Banner died at age 89 in June 2011. In addition to "The Carol Burnett Show," he also worked as a producer on the TV specials "An Evening with Carol Burnett" in 1963 and "Carol +2," which starred Burnett and Lucille Ball and aired in 1966. He also produced the 1962 concert documentary "Julia and Caarol at Carnegie Hall," which featured Burnett and Julie Andrews.
Banner also won an Emmy in 1958 for directing an episode of "The Dinah Shore Chevy Show."