• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

LA, Long Beach port strike comes to an end as officials reach deal

December 4, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
A deal has been reached to end the eight-day strike at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, officials announced at a press conference late Tuesday.

The agreement ends a work stoppage that crippled commerce across the country and reportedly cost the economy nearly $1 billion per day.

"I think it's appropriate to say: mission accomplished," said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa at the press conference. The mayor joined the talks as both sides resumed negotiations Monday night.

The strike began last Tuesday when the 800-member International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 63 Office Clerical Unit walked off the job. The union accused employers of outsourcing jobs, saying positions that had been vacated had not been filled. Employers said they had no plans for outsourcing jobs, but added that they felt no need to fill jobs no longer needed.

Truck drivers and other unions honored the picket lines, effectively shutting down the ports. According to the mayor's office, about 20,000 workers were affected by the strike. Alex Cherin, executive director of the Harbor Trucking Association, said thousands of truck drivers were out of work because of the strike.

Both sides agreed to have two federal mediators fly in to Los Angeles from Washington on Tuesday to help broker a deal.

The details surrounding the agreement were not immediately disclosed.

The clerical workers had been without a new contract for more than two years. They were expected to return to their jobs Wednesday, but still had to ratify the agreement.


Load Comments