The first teaser trailer for "Star Trek Into Darkness," director J.J. Abrams' anticipated sequel to the 2009 film "Star Trek," has been released.
In the teaser, the unnamed villain, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, taunts with the menacing words "You think your world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace for I have returned to have my vengeance." Cue scenes of mass destruction and devastation -- of a city and what appears to be the U.S.S. Enterprise
The Japanese version of the teaser contains a bonus scene.
It shows a man, presumably Captain James T. Kirk, put his hand over that of his friend and fellow Starfleet officer Spock and make the Vulcan's "Live Long and Prosper" salute while separated by a glass wall, bringing to mind a scene from the 1982 film "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," the second film in the iconic franchise on which the current "Star Trek" movies are based.
Cumberbatch's voice is heard again, saying: "Is there anything you would not do for your family?"
Other key moments:
- Captain James T. Kirk, played by Chris Pine, who at one point punches Cumberbatch's character.
- Spock, played by Zachary Quinto, is lowered into what appears to be a volcano.
- Newcomer Alice Eve is seen wearing a blue Starfleet uniform, signaling that she is a science officer. She is seen smiling and later, screaming.
- Uhura, who is played by Zoe Saldana and was Spock's love interest in the 2009 movie, is seen looking worried and scared and at one point is comforted by Scotty, played by Simon Pegg.
- Klingons, who are enemies of Starfleet during this time period, appear in the movie and they are not friendly.
- The U.S.S. Enterprise is seen inside a body of water.
The teaser was released on the 21st anniversary of the day that "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country," the sixth movie in the original film series starring William Shatner as Kirk, was released in theaters -- back in 1991.
"Star Trek Into Darkness" hits theaters on May 17, 2013. The official plot synopsis, according to Paramount Pictures, is as follows:
"When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis," it says.
"With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew," it reads
The second film in Abrams' series also sees the return of Anton Yelchin as Chekov and Karl Urban as Bones. In addition to Eve, RoboCop" star Peter Weller is also a newcomer. He portrays a "CEO," according to EW.
Paramount Pictures announced last month that the first nine minutes from "Star Trek Into Darkness," will start to be screened in about 500 IMAX 3D theaters around the world, beginning on December 14. One of the films expected to screened after such an extended preview is the highly-anticipated "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," which will be released on that date.