Firefighters were dispatched to the area after receiving a call about a strong smell of ammonia. The leak was found on the roof of Los Angeles Cold Storage Co. at 400 S. Central Ave. between 4th and 5th streets.
"We got LAPD on scene to assist us with the evacuation. We cleared about a block in either direction and found out that we did actually have a leak from one of the pipes on the roof," said Battalion Chief Greg Gibson of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Gibson said a one-block radius was cleared as a precaution and a hazmat crew was called in to close the valve. The area was closed for less than an hour, he said.
There were no immediate reports of damages or injuries.