It happened around 12 p.m. at a Southern California Gas Company facility. SoCal Gas officials say crews were injecting gas into the storage field when a relief vent released gas and it ignited.
The loud noise and the flame startled some residents, and a number of viewers called into the Eyewitness Newsroom about the sight.
SoCal Gas stopped the flow of gas and the flame was extinguished within an hour. They say the situation posed no immediate danger to the public and no one was injured.
Damage to the facility was cosmetic and estimated at under $5000, officials said.