• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Woman sues Match.com for $10M after allegedly being attacked by date

January 25, 2013 12:00:00 AM PST
Mary Kay Beckman is a living miracle.

"I shouldn't even be here today, I really do feel better than I ever have," she said.

Seeing the real estate agent today is a far cry from two years ago, when she was beaten senseless.

"There were 10 stab wounds, eight on my physical body, two on my head, and then when the knife broke, there was stomping on my head, so that there was such severe brain trauma and head trauma," Beckman said.

Wade Ridley broke into Beckman's garage in January 2011 and hid there, waiting for her come home. He confessed to police he was in a rage, angry his Match.com dates with Beckman from three months before never worked out. Murder was on his mind.

The next month in Arizona, Ridley stabbed another ex-girlfriend with a butcher knife and machete, killing her.

"I do not believe that online dating is a safe venue for men or women," Beckman said.

Match.com posts a list of safety tips when an online relationship goes offline, including meeting in public and telling a friend.

"It is absolutely not safe," said Beckman's attorney, Mark Segese.

Segese represents Beckman in her nearly $10 million suit against Match.com.

"The basis of the lawsuit is the advertising that is utilized by Match.com, lulling women and men into a false sense of security," Segese said.

Beckman hopes the suit stops online dating dangers.

Ridley was in prison for the attack on Beckman and was also facing a murder charge in Arizona when he killed himself in prison last year.


Load Comments