Real estate mogul and "Celebrity Apprentice" star Donald Trump has threatened to file a $25 million lawsuit against the organizer of a petition calling on Macy's to sever ties with him, adding that the man is "stupid" and a "dummy."
The retail giant carries Trump's clothing, tie and cologne collections. In November, Angelo Carusone launched the "Urge Macy's To Dump Donald Trump" petition, which as of Wednesday, February 20, as 685,570 signatures.
Carusone makes several accusations ? he claims Trump of engaged in "sexist behavior" by allegedly insulting women, denied "the reality of climate change and perpetuated a "racially-charged birther conspiracy" against President Barack Obama. Carusone had also spearheaded a mobile billboard campaign against Trump in New York, acccording to The Hollywood Reporter.
Carusone says Trump's attorney sent him a cease a desist letter in December, in which he says he accuses him of purposely disrupting Trump's "longstanding and well-established business relationship with Macy's as well as his contractual dealings with other third parties through mob-like bullying and coercion" and using "misinformation" to further his cause and influence others.
Carusone posted a copy of the letter online on February 19. Trump's attorney states that a lawsuit seeking "not less than $25 million in damages" will be filed against him if he does not stop his "malicious efforts to tortuously interfere with Mr. Trump's business and contractual relationships."
Donald Trump's response:
"We did send him a letter. Whether we act on the letter or not is subject to seeing what goes on," Trump told Women's Wear Daily. "We have a great relationship with Macy's. He knows it."
On February 20, Trump ranted about Carusone on Twitter.
"Dummy @GoAngelo who had 11 people show up for 15 min. at his 'massive' rally at Macy's is trying to get publicity for self by using me," he Tweeted, adding: "My ties & shirts at Macy's are doing great. Stupid @GoAngelo is making people aware of how good they are!"
The retailer said in a statement issued last year that its "marketing and merchandizing offerings are not representative of any political position."
Angelo Causone: "I'm not stopping anything."
Meanwhile, Carusone has sought legal counsel from the nonprofit group Public Citizen. He has been Tweeting about the case over the past few days.
He said on February 19: "In case it wasn't clear. No, I'm not stopping anything. I've done nothing even remotely wrong and I'm awfully persistent. Onward!#DumpTrump."
"@GoAngelo do you have $25 million? Seems like cause for action by you," a Twitter user asked.
"No. But, I have an enormous pile of law school debt? Does that count?" he replied.
The news about Trump's cease and desist letter also comes weeks after Trump threatened to sue host Bill Maher. He had appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," cited Trump's pre-election request to have Obama release his birth certificate to show he was born in the United States and said he would donate $5 million to charity if Trump released his own to prove he is not the "spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan."
Trump sent Maher his birth certificate and told him to "pay up."
The news also comes less than two weeks before the premiere of the "All-Star" season of "Celebrity Apprentice," which airs on NBC on March 3 at 9 p.m. ET. (see more details about the cast, which includes the likes of Gary Busey, Dennis Rodman and Lisa Rinna.)
(Pictured above: Donald Trump appears on a 2011 episode of NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice."