Joey McIntyre of New Kids on the Block (NKOTB) ran the Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15, and is OK, having passed the finish line some five minutes after two deadly explosions ripped through the area.
The blasts killed at least three people and injured dozens more, including children, at the crowded event, which sparked fresh security fears and spurred officials to beef up security in several major cities worldwide. McInTyre, 40, had participated in the Boston Marathon to help raise funds for Alzheimer's Association. His mother suffers from the disease.
Hours before the explosions, he posted on Twitter photos of himself at the event. He later Tweeted: "There was an explosion by the finish line about 5 minutes after I finished- I'm ok but I'm sure there are many hurt."
McIntyre is from Needham, which is also near Boston, and lives with his wife and three kids in Los Angeles. He had been keeping a Tumblr blog documenting his training efforts for the Boston Marathon. He started it on Feb. 9.
"I'm am so lucky to be able to train in warm L.A. but I got to do 10 miles today in Boston (gotta do 14 more tomorrow) (sic)," he wrote on March 31. "My hometown- that connection like no other we all get from our hometowns. And that's why I have to run Boston before any other marathon (if any other). My love and emotions for this city run as deep as the Charles River."
He had set up a fundraising website benefitting the Alzheimer's Association before the marathon. More than $40,000 has been donated.
"My mother suffers from Alzheimer's disease," he said in a message. "She loved to walk everywhere. Never had a driver's license- so I'll run for her instead in the Boston Marathon."
Reactions from other NKOTB singers
Donnie Wahlberg, a fellow NKOTB singer, Massachusetts native and "Blue Bloods" actor, had dropped McIntyre and band mate Jordan Knight in Boston on Sunday.
Wahlberg Tweeted earlier on Monday: "Please reach out if you hear that @joeymcintyre is ok!!!!! Please say a prayer for everyone in Boston!"
The singer and later said: "Just heard that @joeymcintyre is ok! Thanks to everyone for tweeting! Scared for everyone else in Boston. #PrayerForBoston please. Going to be off twitter for a while today. Many friends and loved ones to check in on. Please #PrayforBoston and all those impacted by this. Check in on all your friends who're fans of Joe Mac. Knowing BH's the way we do, I'm sure some were out to support Joe today. #PrayForBoston."
Jordan Knight, a 42-year-old NKOTB singer and Massachusetts native, Tweeted: "Hey all , @joeymcintyre tweeted he is ok.. I'm at home and safe, lets hope too many people weren't hurt!"
Jonathan Knight, Jordan's 44-year-old brother and fellow NKOTB singer, Tweeted: "I cant believe what I'm seeing on the news. I hope this turns out to be an accident and not an act of hate or terror. #BostonMarathon."
The fifth NKOTB member, Danny Wood, 43, had wished McIntyre luck on Twitter before the marathon began. On Monday afternoon, he Tweeted: "#prayforboston."