The third time was the charm for Candice Glover, who won the 12th season of "American Idol" after being cut in earlier rounds of auditions during two previous seasons.
The a 23-year-old singer from South Carolina, who beat runner-up Kree Harrison of Texas, spoke to reporters after Thursday's finale of the FOX series, which featured celebrity guest performers Aretha Franklin, Jessie J, judge Mariah Carey and season 4 contestant and Oscar and Grammy winner Jennifer Hudson, who sang a duet of Natalie Cole's "Inseparable" with Glover.
Check out 7 best quotes from Candice Glover during her backstage press conference.
1. "I actually have some friends that decided not to come back and stuff like that but I always knew for some reason that it would happen if I kept going," Glover told reporters. "I even at some point said, 'You know, 'American Idol' obviously does not want me so why would I go back?' But I have found myself on the website, looking at auditions again and being determined and stuff and I just couldn't stay away because I knew if I kept trying, then it would happen."
2. "I was so nervous backstage. I was like, 'Oh my gosh, you cannot suck. This is Jennifer Hudson. Like, don't mess up. Like, practice, get it together. I'm just so glad I got a chance to even do that with her 'cause I look up to her."
3. "I'm going to try to go to sleep. I don't even think I'm going to get a chance to sleep tonight, but I'm going to try to sleep as much as I can -- probably eat some chicken or something."
4. "I don't remember [Ryan Seacrest] saying my name. I do remember confetti getting in my mouth while I was singing and stuff. I wanted to laugh but I was crying and it was just so much happening at the one moment but it felt great."
5. "I didn't even ... I couldn't understand that Aretha knew my name or knew who I was 'cause I really, I love her so much. Oh my gosh, that just felt great."
6. Nikki, she was like, 'Oh my gosh, you're a superstar. Can I hug you? Can I please hug you?' Like, 'cause she was like, 'Don't be a diva or whatever.' She was joking. She always says, 'Oh my gosh, can I hug the 'American Idol'? Everything I say that, I can't even .. what's happening?"
7. "I think I definitely learned how to be confident and how to be myself and be OK with how I am because in previous seasons I was doing what I thought America wanted or what the judges or whoever wanted but this year I just did whatever I wanted to do, hence why I would do a rapper's song on the show or why I would do The Cure when nobody expected me to. But like, in previous seasons I wouldn't have done any of that 'cause I wasn't comfortable in who I was but I think that's the difference between now and the other seasons."
Who do YOU think deserved to win "American Idol" - Candice Glover or Kree Harrison? Vote in our poll below.