• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: 'Criminal Minds' Kirsten Vangsness talks Kickstarter film, gets teary

Kirsten Vangsness talked to OTRC.com about her Kickstarter film project called 'Kill Me, Deadly' on June 18, 2013.

On "Criminal Minds," fan-favorite Kirsten Vangsness is known for her vibrant personality, but in her new movie, "Kill Me, Deadly," it's all black and white.

"It's a 1940's noir spoof, so everything in it is like you're watching a movie from the forties," Vangsness said. "It's black and white, the costumes, the makeup, the lingo."

She describes the film as a cross between "Young Frankenstein" and "Airplane!" mixed with the audience participation appeal of movies like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." The cast is full of actors from theater and TV, including Vangsness' "Criminal Minds" co-stars, Joe Mantegna and Shemar Moore.

Vangsness is both the star and executive producer, financing 80 percent of the million dollar movie herself. Now that they're halfway through shooting the passion project, she's asking for help funding the remaining 20 percent through the online fundraising site -- Kickstarter.

"This movie's gonna get done, whether people -- I might cry -- whether people want to join in and participate or not," she said before wiping away a few tears. "But I want people to participate so much because everybody has dreams like mine and I'm so lucky that my dream has come true in such a beautiful way. I want people to know that there is all this untapped talent that doesn't get any attention."

Now Vangsness is close to getting that attention with many thanks to the fame she's found on "Criminal Minds," which is now gearing up to shoot its ninth season.

"Really looking forward to going back to work and having someone put me in those fantastic clothes 'cause I can't really dress myself as good as her."

At the time of this writing, Vangsness' Kickstarter project is gaining some traction and has over $91,000 of its $200,000 goal pledged by users of the site.

"Criminal Minds" returns to CBS Sept. 25. Check out the trailer for "Kill Me, Deadly" below.

Reporting by Tony Cabrera, correspondent for KABC Television's entertainment show "On The Red Carpet" (check for local TV listings).

(Copyright ©2018 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)