• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Controversial anti-Islamic filmmaker released from prison

August 13, 2013 12:00:00 AM PDT
A controversial filmmaker blamed for protests across the Middle East last year is out of jail. Tuesday, Nakoula Nakoula gave his first interview, speaking out about allegations his movie sparked the deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

Nakoula Nakoula was freed last week and is now living in a halfway house in an undisclosed city. He doesn't want to show his face on camera but he does want to share a message.

His film portrayed Muhammad as a philanderer and a thug. The trailer prompted deadly protests around the world. Director Nakoula Nakoula told CNN's Jake Tapper by phone that he was shocked by the reaction.

"I never thought my movie can cause anyone trouble or anyone can get killed from my movie," said Nakoula Nakoula.

As anger swelled around the world, Nakoula hid his face and moved his family from their Cerritos home.

He'd eventually go to prison for unrelated bank fraud charges.

He's now free, and won't say where he's living.

Immediately following the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. Many incorrectly blamed Nakoula's movie for inciting the terrorist attack.

Asked if he thinks the Obama administration put him in danger by blaming the attack on him, he had no comment.

Nakoula says he doesn't feel any responsibility for the violent reactions to his film.

"My movie is not a religion movie, it's a political more than a religion. I never be against any religion. I have Muslim friends. I am against the terrorism culture," said Nakoula.

Nakoula Nakoula is being sued by one of the actresses on the movie who claims he dubbed in incendiary dialogue after the actors finished their work.

Nakoula's says he made the actors famous and all they cared about was a paycheck and being in front of the camera.


Load Comments