• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

South El Monte hospital fire caused by electrical malfunction

Patients were forced to evacuate Greater El Monte Community Hospital after a fire broke out on the roof.
December 10, 2013 12:00:00 AM PST
Patients were forced to evacuate Greater El Monte Community Hospital in South El Monte after a fire broke out on the roof of the building early Tuesday morning.

According to the lead inspector on the scene, the fire broke out following a problem with one of the vent fans on the roof of the emergency room.

The blaze was reported at about 4:15 a.m. Firefighters made quick work of the fire, knocking it down in about 30 minutes.

While firefighters battled the blaze, 65 patients were evacuated from the hospital, along with doctors and nurses.

Hospital officials called in AMR, an ambulance company, to help move the evacuated patients to safer areas within the hospital campus. The patients have since been returned to their rightful rooms.

No injuries were reported, and the building has been deemed structurally sound.


Load Comments