• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Hesperia house fire started in natural gas fireplace; 12 displaced

Firefighters are shown at a house fire on the 18000 block of Wisteria Street in Hesperia on Monday, Dec. 9, 2013.

December 10, 2013 12:00:00 AM PST
Twelve people, including 10 children, have been displaced after a fire in their gas fireplace got out of control.

The incident occurred on the 18000 block of Wisteria Street in Hesperia at about 7:30 p.m. Monday. Firefighters say everyone got out safely before the roof collapsed.

Officials say the homeowners were burning wood in a fireplace designed for natural gas only. The residents told fire officials they were trying to heat the house because the heating system wasn't working.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the home was a total loss at $225,000.


Load Comments