• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Nigella Lawson speaks out about courtroom drama

Amy Robach, left, talks with Nigella Lawson on 'Good Morning America' on Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, in New York.

January 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM PST
Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson spoke out on "Good Morning America" about her recent trial that threw her private life into the limelight.

Lawson testified last month at the trial of her two former assistants. They were accused of swindling more than a million dollars from Lawson and her ex-husband Charles Saatchi.

The trial was overshadowed by revelations about the 53-year-old's personal life, including the chef admitting to using cocaine a handful of times.

On "Good Morning America" on Thursday, Lawson said her main concern throughout the trial was shielding her children.

"My only desire really was to protect my children as much as possible which I wasn't alas ... I couldn't do," said Lawson. "To have not only your private life, but distortions of your private life put on display is mortifying."

Lawson's ex-assistants were acquitted of fraud and other allegations of using company credit cards for personal expenses. The chef said she was "disappointed but unsurprised" by the verdict, saying the jury was presented with a "ridiculous sideshow of false allegations about drug use which made focus on the actual criminal trial impossible."

Though 2013 was a tough year for the celeb chef and author, Lawson said she has moved on.

"I've eaten a lot of chocolate, had a very good Christmas and I'm into the New Year," Lawson said.

Lawson, author of "How To Be A Domestic Goddess," was on the morning show to promote "The Taste," a TV cooking show in which she stars with Anthony Bourdain.

ABC News contributed to this report.


Load Comments