The second-story fire broke out in a bedroom shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday. It took about 35 firefighters nearly a half-hour to bring the blaze under control.
Six adults and two children were all able to escape, but a small dog did not make it out alive.
"The alarm went off and I went in my bedroom, and when I went in my bedroom, my mattress and all my clothes were totally engulfed in fire. I tried to run in the bathroom to get some water but it had gotten too far," described Mattie Thompson, a resident.
Crews say working smoke alarms helped everyone get out OK. One person was treated for smoke inhalation.
The Red Cross is assisting those who have been displaced.