• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Venice boardwalk fatal crash: Family files complaint against city

The family of an Italian woman killed last year on the Venice boardwalk has filed a complaint against the city of L.A.
January 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM PST
The family of an Italian woman killed last year on the Venice Beach Boardwalk has filed a complaint against the city of Los Angeles. Prosecutors say a man drove his car into a crowd, killing the tourist and injuring others.

Alice Gruppioni, 32, and her husband, Christian Casadei, were visiting from Italy on their honeymoon. They were on the Venice Beach Boardwalk in August when Nathan Campbell allegedly plowed through the crowds, killing Gruppioni and injuring more than a dozen people.

"We want justice," said Katia Gruppioni, Alice's aunt. "This is exactly what we want. We want justice from that man. This district attorney is making the best job in ensuring that justice will be made."

Campbell has pleaded not guilty to the murder and assault charges. While his criminal case moves forward, the Gruppionis have filed a complaint against the city of Los Angeles. It's the first step in filing a lawsuit.

Their attorney, Greg Bentley, accuses the city of not doing enough to keep the Venice walkway safe for pedestrians.

"Whenever you have cars driving on a public, worldwide tourist attraction, that creates and poses dangers to the public," said Bentley. "We want the city to recognize that and we want the city to take protective measures to protect against this dangerous condition."

The L.A. City Attorney's Office says it doesn't comment on pending litigation.

Since the crash, the city has placed barriers at a number of streets along the walkway.

City Councilman Mike Bonin represents Venice. A spokesman for his office said they are a temporary fix and they're currently working on finding a permanent solution to keep unauthorized vehicles off the boardwalk.


Load Comments