• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Newport Beach Little League suspension lifted

A player from the Newport Beach Little League holds a sign that reads, 'Play Ball! Please!' on Sunday, March 16, 2014. All players in the league were suspended indefinitely March 12. The suspension was lifted March 16.
March 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM PDT
A suspension that banned the entire Newport Beach Little League from playing and practicing has been lifted.

The league, which is made up of more than 700 boys and girls ages 5 to 15, was suspended Wednesday for having too many coaches on its board.

Board member Gregg Olson told Eyewitness News the suspension was lifted Sunday night after the league had a meeting with an administrator from District 55, which oversees the league.

A board member had to step down from team managing to be in compliance with district rules.

League president Gary Borquez took responsibility for not being in compliance with the rules.

"More of an administrative, clerical error, but we were at fault there," he said.

Practice will resume Monday, and games will be rescheduled.

Borquez and many parents said District 55 was too harsh in its punishment. Prior to the suspension being lifted, Boroquez said the punishment was "egregious."

More than half of the 24 members of the board were coaches and managers. A few parents told Eyewitness News the board and coaches knowingly broke the rules and had been warned by District 55.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Load Comments