Not much has been confirmed about "Star Wars: Episode VII" since the film was officially announced last year, but now, it has been announced when J.J. Abrams and his crew will get the cameras rolling.
What's confirmed about "Star Wars: Episode VII"?
Disney and Lucasfilm confirmed in a statement on Monday, March 17, that the film is set about 30 years after "Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi." It was also confirmed that the movie will star "a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces."
Principal photography on the film will start in May in London's Pinewood Studios. The movie is set to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.
It was previously confirmed in November that R2-D2 will appear in the new movie and that two "Star Wars" fans, Lee Towersey and Oliver Steeples, are officially part of the creature effects team for the new film to help work on R2-D2.
In April 2013 it was announced that the studios behind the franchise will release a new "Star Wars" film every year starting with the 2015 release of "Star Wars: Episode VII." Walt Disney Company chairman Alan Horn told reporters that the studio will alternate between films in the new "Star Wars" trilogy and spinoff films that will feature characters within the "Star Wars" universe.
Rumors and reports about "Star Wars: Episode VII"
Aside from Tuesday's announcement, release date and R2-D2 news, not much about the film has been confirmed, but there have been plenty of rumors about casting. The latest of which includes Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o.
In an article posted on March 14, The Hollywood Reporter claimed that the "12 Years A Slave" actress met with Abrams for the part of the female lead in "Star Wars: Episode VII." The meeting reportedly occurred before the actress won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.
The report also claims that actor Jesse Plemons of "Breaking Bad" and "Friday Night Lights" is up for a role as well as actors Ed Speleers of "Downton Abbey" and John Boyega of "Attack the Block."
In late February it was reported that "Girls" star Adam Driver was in final negotiations for the role of the villain in the new film. His casting has not yet been confirmed.
Walt Disney Company President and CEO Bob Iger talked about the casting rumors during a shareholders meeting on Tuesday, March 18.
"Rumor has it that almost every actor in the world has been cast in this movie, but so far, the official cast member that we've confirmed, the only one, is R2-D2. Played by R2-D2," Iger said, according to Variety.
Last year, George Lucas confirmed talks have been held with original "Star Wars" trilogy stars Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill about having them reprise their original "Star Wars" roles. However, their involvement in the new film has not been confirmed.