"The Good Wife" has been known to feature shocking storylines in the past, but fans were not expecting to bear the loss of one of the show's founding characters.
Spoiler alert: In the season 5 episode "Dramatics, Your Honor," which aired on March 23, Will Gardner, played by Josh Charles, is shot by his client, Jeffery Grant, played by Hunter Parrish. With Finn, played by Matthew Goode, also shot by his side, Kalinda, played by Archie Panjabi, discovers the two following the sound of the gun shots and discover that Will was dead.
The revelation of Will's death on "The Good Wife" came as a shock to fans, as he has been an integral character on the series since its debut in September 2009. The show was recently renewed for its sixth season.
In a Facebook chat a day following the episode, the show's leading lady, Julianna Margulies, revealed that while the news of his death was a shock to audiences, she and her cast mates found it tough for them as well in the beginning, having learned of his departure well in advance.
"You can't imagine how sad we all are to lose Josh, but we have been living with this a lot longer than the audience so it's not as harsh for us at this moment," Margulies said. "Josh is one of the best actors I have ever worked with and I will miss him every day. But his death makes the character of Alicia have to move in a different direction and that is very exciting."
Check out how 5 celebrities, including Josh Charles, reacted to the death of Will Gardner on "The Good Wife" on Twitter below.
1. Josh Charles, played Will Gardner on "The Good Wife": "Sending out all my love to #TheGoodWife fans! Playing Will Gardner was an honor and a pleasure. Thanks for all of your support & kind words!"
2. Joshua Malina, plays David Rosen on "Scandal": "Whew. I'm so relieved to have survived tonight's episode of #TheGoodWife."
3. Greg Berlanti, TV writer/producer ("Arrow," "The Tomorrow People"): "So this #TheGoodWife plot twist is up there with Beyonce's album in terms of how did they keep that secret!"
4. Alan Cumming, plays Eli Gold on "The Good Wife": "I am so relieved that the big @TheGoodWife_CBS secret is out. It's been the hardest thing not to not blab about it. Bravo @MrJoshCharles X."
5. Katie Couric, news anchor/talk show host: "Spoiler alert! What happened on The Good Wife?"