The original "Star Wars" cast WILL reunite in "Star Wars: Episode VII," following months of rumors and their recent appearance in London, where much of the new movie is being filmed.
The news was revealed on April 29 in a message posted on the official "Star Wars" Facebook page.The movie is being produced by Disney-owned production company Lucasfilm. The company also announced names of new cast members, which include "Girls" star Adam Driver, who was rumored to play a villain, and "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" star Andy Serkis.
"The 'Star Wars' team is thrilled to announce the cast of 'Star Wars: Episode VII.' Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film," the message said.
"We are so excited to finally share the cast of 'Star Wars: Episode VII,'" director J.J. Abrams said. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."
Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford, who starred in the original "Star Wars" trilogy, have been spotted in London in recent days. "Star Wars: Episode VII" is set to soon begin filming at Pinewood studios in the city. The movie, the first of a new series, is set for release in December 2015.
Check out details about the cast members below.
Original "Star Wars" cast:
- 1. Anthony Daniels - the 68-year-old British actor portrayed the most polite android ever, C-3PO, whose sidekick R2-D2. Daniels reprised his role in the new "Star Wars" trilogy, which was released between 1999 and 2005.
2. Carrie Fisher - the 57-year-old actress played Han Solo's love interest, Princess Leia, also the long-lost sister of Luke Skywalker, the main hero in the original films. She went on to star in movies such as "When Harry Met Sally" and play herself on shows such as "Entourage" and "The Big Bang Theory," and also maintain an ongoing mock feud on Twitter with William Shatner of the original "Star Trek."
3. Harrison Ford - The 71-year-old actor played intergalactic swashbuckler Han Solo in the original "Star Wars" trilogy, which was released between 1977 and 1983. The actor went on to star in the "Indian Jones" films as well as movies such as "The Devil's Own," "What Lies Beneath" and "Cowboys & Aliens."
4. Kenny Baker - the 79-year-old short actor is known as the man inside the bleeping and blooping android R2-D2. He also reprised his role in the second "Star Wars" trilogy.
5. Mark Hamill - the 62-year-old actor played Skywalker in the first trilogy and went on to do mostly voice work on cartoons such as "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "Robot Chicken" and video games such as "Batman: Arkham City" and "Batman: Arkham Asylum," in which he portrayed the Joker. He is often spotted at fan conventions.
6. Peter Mayhew - the 69-year-old British star played Han Solo's furry co-pilot Chewbacca, a Wookiee, in the original trilogy and also reprised his role in the 2005 movie "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith."
New "Star Wars" cast:
- 7. Adam Driver - the 30-year-old actor currently plays Hannah's boyfriend Adam on the HBO show "Girls" and is a former U.S. Marine. He is rumored to play a villain in the new "Star Wars" movie, although this has not been confirmed.
8. Andy Serkis - the 50-year-old British actor is best known for his portrayal of Gollum / Smeagol in the "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" films. He also played Jennifer Garner's boss in the 2004 romantic comedy movie "13 Going on 30."
9. Daisy Ridley - the British actress made her onscreen debut just last year, on an episode of the British TV medical drama series "Casualty." She has also appeared on "Silent Witness" and "Mr. Selfridge."
10. Domhnall Gleeson - the Irish actor played Bill Weasley, one of Ron Weasley's older brothers, in the films "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" parts 1 and 2 and also starred in movies such as "Anna Karenina" and "About Time."
11. John Boyega - The British actor plays Chris Tanner in FOX's new revived series, "24: Live Another Day."
12. Max von Sydow the 85-year-old Swedish actor was nominated for Oscars for his roles in " Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" in 2011 and the Swedish movie "Pelle the Conqueror" in 1987 and has also appeared in the films "Minority Report" with Tom Cruise and "Shutter Island." He also played Cardinal Von Waldburg on the Showtime series "The Tudors" in 2009.
13. Oscar Isaac - born in Guatemala and raised in Florida, the 34-year-old played beatnik musician Davis in the 2013 film "Inside Llewyn Davis" and also starred in movies such as "The Bourne Legacy" and the 2010 adaptation of "Robin Hood."