• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

OTRC: Paul McCartney, 71, cancels Japan tour, battling illness

Paul McCartney arrives at Tokyo International Airport in Japan on May 15, 2014. He later canceled his five-date tour in the country due to illness. (Future Image / Startraksphoto.com)

Paul McCartney has postponed his entire Japan tour as he continues to battle a virus.

The 71-year-old former Beatle had become ill last week and postponed two shows. The official website for the Japan leg of his 2014 "Out There" tour posted a statement on Tuesday, May 20, saying that all concerts in the country would not take place on their scheduled dates. He was to perform five concerts there, the last on May 24. Fans were offered refunds.

"Paul McCartney will regrettably have to cancel the remaining Japanese shows," the statement said. "Paul is still not feeling better and this cancelation is unavoidable. He was hoping to be better but the doctors have ordered him complete rest. Paul has been extremely moved by the messages from his fans and is upset to be letting them down. All possibilities to find a solution to reschedule these shows as soon as possible are being explored."

"I was really looking forward to playing in Japan again after we had such an amazing time here in November," the singer himself added. "So to cancel these shows as well as the National Stadium shows is hugely disappointing for me as well. I'd like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding. I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul."

McCartney arrived in Japan on Thursday, May 15 (see photo, above). Two days later, he said on his personal website that he would have to postpone a show set to take place that night.

"I came down with a virus on Friday and following a visit from doctors, I've been told not to perform tonight," he said.

On Sunday, another statement was issued on his personal website announcing two more postponed Japan shows, saying that doctors had ordered the singer "complete rest" and that he had even wanted to perform that night "against doctors' orders." The message added that McCartney has in the past only had to reschedule "a handful" of concerts during his music career.

McCartney is still scheduled to perform in Seoul, South Korea on May 28 and begin the U.S. leg of his tour on June 19, in Texas.

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments