CARSON, Calif. (KABC) --NFL owners have approved a proposed Inglewood stadium, opening the door for the St. Louis Rams to return to Los Angeles for the first time since 1994.
Owners voted 30-2 in favor of the Inglewood stadium project over a joint bid between the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers to build a $1.7 billion stadium in Carson.
MORE: Fans take to streets after NFL announces Rams returning to LA
The Chargers have the option to join the Rams in Inglewood or remain in San Diego. The NFL said the Chargers have one year to make a decision.
"I will be working over the next several weeks to explore the options that we have now created for ourselves to determine the best path forward for the Chargers," owner Dean Spanos said in a statement.
Earlier on Tuesday, a six-member NFL relocation committee recommended the joint bid between the Raiders and Chargers in Carson, but owners favored the Inglewood project.
The Raiders later withdrew their considerations from relocating to LA. If the Chargers do not move to LA, the Raiders then have one year to join the Rams in Inglewood.
"The Raiders will now turn our attention to exploring all options to find a permanent stadium solution. We thank fans throughout the Raider Nation for their unrivaled passion and support," the Raiders said in a statement.
Rams owner Stan Kroenke said the Rams offered the Chargers,"a partnership in the stadium as an owner, or we've offered the lease arrangements. The team will have a choice of those options."
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league would provide $100 million to both the Chargers and Raiders if they remain in their current cities.
Kroenke has been vying to build a $1.8 billion stadium on land he owns in Inglewood, on the site of the old Hollywood Park. It looks like he will now get that opportunity.
Rams legend Jackie Slater and former NFL and USC star Chris Hale talk Rams return to LA:
"This decision is about what is in the best long-term interests of the Rams organization and the National Football League," Kroenke said. "We would like to thank the National Football League, its owners, and the Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities for their diligence and dedication. We look forward to returning to Los Angeles and building a world-class NFL entertainment district in Inglewood."
The Inglewood stadium will be ready for the 2019 season, according to Goodell. The Rams will likely begin playing at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in the 2016 season.
Mayor Eric Garcetti tweeted his congratulations and excitement for the NFL's return to LA.
Disney CEO Bob Iger presented the case for the Carson stadium project on behalf of the Chargers, Raiders and Raiders owner Mark Davis Tuesday morning.
Bob Iger discusses the Carson stadium project
Though Carson was not selected as the new home of the NFL, officials said the much good has come from the process.
"This NFL bidding process has put Carson on the map as a city that has the wherewithal to compete in the big leagues for development opportunities," Carson Mayor Albert Robles said in a statement.
Robles said Carson will now look to develop the 157-acre property with one of the nation's largest commercial developers.
The Associated Press and the City News Service contributed to this report
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.