Dallas police open criminal investigation into Johnny Manziel domestic violence claim

Dallas police said they have launched a criminal investigation into a complaint of domestic violence assault filed against Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel.

Officials with the Dallas Police Department said in a statement on Friday that, "detectives will thoroughly investigate the case to determine what criminal charges, if any, will be filed and victim services will be offered."

Police said they received a complaint of a domestic violence assault that occurred in Dallas on Jan. 30 between Manziel and his ex-girlfriend.

There have been previous reports and allegations of domestic violence between Manziel and his ex-girlfriend, including an incident in Ohio back in October 2015.

MORE: Dash cam footage of Johnny Manziel domestic incident released

Also on Friday, a judge's protective ordered stated Manziel must stay away from his former girlfriend for two years.

The order also stated Manziel is to pay $12,500 in legal fees and isn't allowed to own a firearm.

MORE: Details of Johnny Manziel incident released; police say case closed

Earlier on Friday, Manziel's agent announced he was cutting ties with the Heisman Trophy winner.

"It is with deep regret that, after several emotional and very personal discussions with his family, his doctors and my client himself, I have made the decision to terminate my professional relationship with Johnny Manziel," agent Erik Burkhardt said in a statement.

"Though I will remain a friend and Johnny supporter, and he knows I have worked tirelessly to arrange a number of professional options for him to continue to pursue, it has become painfully obvious that his future rests solely in his own hands," Burkhardt continued. "His family and I have gone to great lengths to outline the steps we feel he must take to get his life in order. Accountability is the foundation of any relationship, and without it, the function of my work is counterproductive."

Manziel has ran into several off-the-field issues since being drafted by the Browns in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He entered rehab during the offseason leading into the 2016 season.

A source told ESPN the Browns will move on from Manziel when the new NFL year starts on March 9.
Related Topics:
sportsCleveland Brownstexas newsu.s. & worldNational Footbal LeagueathletesTexasOhio
(Copyright ©2016 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments