ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) --Firefighters rescued several senior citizens and pets from the second story of a senior living apartment building in Anaheim after a grease fire broke out in a kitchen Tuesday night.
The fire broke out around 11:35 p.m. at a multi-unit senior living complex in the 1700 block of N. Community Drive.
Authorities said the fire started in a second-story unit and it had spread from the apartment into the hallway, trapping several residents in their homes.
Multiple firefighting agencies along with help from the Anaheim Police Department rescued the residents and pets from their second-story balconies. About 60 firefighters were on scene and knocked down the blaze within 20 minutes.
Three people were transported to a nearby hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
The structural damage is estimated to be about $400,000 and property damage around $50,000. One upstairs unit sustained significant fire damage, while seven were damaged from the heat and smoke. Eight additional units downstairs were left without power.
Fire officials determined the cause was a grease fire.