SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) --A fire that ripped through the former Ruby's Diner at the end of the Seal Beach Pier on May 20 was caused by an electrical issue and not arson, according to city officials.
Officials said the fire sparked in the bait shop near the site of the old restaurant. While the bait shop had been closed for some time, investigators said the electricity was still on.
More than 60 firefighters had to battle the blaze that erupted at about 7:30 a.m. The fire was knocked down at about 10 a.m.
MORE: Fire erupts at former Ruby's Diner site at end of Seal Beach Pier
One firefighter was taken to the hospital after suffering a dislocated shoulder.
Currently, the pier remains blocked off due to safety concerns. A part of the pier is expected to be demolished and repaired, but there is no word on when it could reopen.
The iconic 1950s-themed Ruby's Diner chain restaurant closed in early 2013 after 25 years in business.
The company and the city couldn't come to an agreement after lengthy negotiations.