PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) --An electrical malfunction in a car caused a carport fire at a Pasadena apartment complex, according to fire officials.
The fire started around 4 a.m. on Monday destroying four cars and damaging eight.
Resident Jennifer Escandon woke up, and after she made sure her children were safe, she ran toward her car. Unfortunately, she was unable to save the car as the flames melted her trunk.
"It's like your only transportation, and you are the only provider for your children, you know, it's hard," Escandon said.
DeShawn Swinney's family moved into the apartment complex three months ago, and this is the second fire they've faced.
"The tires popping ... the windows was falling in the cars and just burning. I was scared once I seen all that fire. I felt like I was in a movie, and I was just running," Swinney said.
The flames that burned the cars were at least 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Residents were thankful that the fire didn't spread to the big tree overhead, the gas station nearby or the apartments right next to the carport.
The Pasadena Fire Department's quick response to the blaze kept it contained to a small area.
"We got here quickly. Fortunately, the weather conditions were in our favor. Very fortunate that it didn't spread to any adjacent structures. We're going to try to help them with whatever we can," said Lisa Derderien with the PFD.
Despite the damage, residents are staying positive.
"We have our children. We need transportation, and we lost a day of work today too," Escandon said. "This is a lot, but you know, I'm just glad, honestly, no one got hurt."