LENNOX, Calif. (KABC) --An electrical fire at a Lennox pet store left 35 animals dead early Tuesday morning.
Authorities said the fire started around 2:31 a.m. near Lennox Boulevard and S. Burin Avenue. There were about 200 animals in the store, and the majority of them were rescued, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
The 35 animals that perished in the fire were reptiles, fish, turtles, chickens and a cat.
Firefighters said a woman who was walking by the pet store ran to the station that is around the corner from the business and alerted them of the fire.
"I ran to the fire station and I let them know that a fire was going on. I mean, what I care for is the animals," the woman said.
The blaze was knocked down within 25 minutes, and no one was injured.