Family of murdered Compton man urges public to come forward with information

EMBED </>More News Videos

A grieving family is calling for justice in the murder of an innocent man gunned down on a Compton street. (KABC)

A grieving family is calling for justice in the murder of an innocent man gunned down on a Compton street.

Andre McMihelk Jr., 32, was killed on May 14 in the 1000 block of S. Nestor Avenue. Deputies said he had just parked and was heading to a friend's barbecue when a black Nissan pulled up next to him.

"The suspect in this case got out of the car and started shooting at Andre with an assault rifle. He struck Andre several times when he shot at him, and then he got back in the car and drove off," said Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County sheriff's homicide bureau.

Behind the suspect vehicle was a blue MINI Cooper authorities believe was somehow involved. McMihelk was one of four people killed in the city of Compton that weekend, though officials said none of the cases are related.

According to a homicide report, 28 people have been killed in Compton this year so far. Specifically in the month of May, eight people were murdered.

Capt. Michael Thatcher of the LASD Compton station said there is some good news: More crimes are being reported to police.

"Calls for service have been going up and calls that have been providing information - both anonymously and courageous people that are stepping forward and letting us know about crime," he said.

Detectives said the father of five was not a gang member. Anyone who may have any information is urged to contact the LASD homicide bureau at (323) 890-5500.

Authorities said they have security video from a nearby home that captured the image of the gunman, but they will not be releasing the video to ensure the safety of the homeowner.
Related Topics:
newsshootingman shotman killedsearchcrimemurderlos angeles county sheriff's departmentComptonLos Angeles County
(Copyright ©2016 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments