Suge Knight appears in court; bail review hearing postponed

EMBED </>More Videos

Rap mogul Suge Knight was back in a Compton courtroom Monday morning, hoping for bail, but the hearing was postponed. (KABC)

Rap mogul Suge Knight was back in a Compton courtroom Monday morning, hoping for bail, but the hearing was postponed.

Knight, 49, is currently being held without bail after a bail commissioner decided he was a flight risk and could intimidate potential witnesses.

The Death Row Records co-founder has been charged with murder and attempted murder in connection with a fatal hit-and-run in Compton on Jan. 29 that took the life of Terry Carter. This could be Suge's third strike.

Knight appeared in court around 9 a.m. The prosecutor told the judge she has a "very large stack of uncharged crimes" that will be presented at the bail hearing.

Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes said she has not looked over the alleged crimes, but wants to review all of them before the next hearing. She said the new alleged crimes were unrelated to the murder charge.

Knight's attorney, David Kenner, said he had not seen any details about the uncharged crimes, but he is not worried about them. He said once the alleged crimes are detailed in court, he expects to challenge them and "make sure what we're getting is the truth."

When Knight was in court last week to plead not guilty to charges, he complained of chest pains and was hospitalized.

Kenner made a request to have Knight's personal physician come and treat him in jail, but the judge denied that request, saying that the county jail has capable professionals available to treat him.

Friends say his health problems stem from being shot in the past, diabetes and the stress of being locked up.

"I think that he's very weak and in poor health, and very devastated, just heartbroken," said Christie Love, a friend of Suge Knight.

The only words Knight said in court were "Yes I do, your honor" when Barnes asked whether he approved of a delay in his case to give both sides time to prepare.

Knight is expected back in court on March 20 for the bail hearing and a preliminary hearing setting.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Related Topics:
homicide investigationhit and runentertainmentmusic newsCompton
(Copyright ©2017 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments