Live

Live updates: Orange County toxic tank on path to spill or explode; experts searching for solutions

Last updated: Sunday, May 24, 2026 2:33PM GMT
OC authorities monitoring possible third option to stop tank explosion

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- An urgent situation is unfolding in Garden Grove, where a chemical tank at the GKN Aerospace facility has been unstable for several days and is on a path to imminent failure.

Authorities say it will likely either spill thousands of gallons of a highly toxic chemical or, even worse, explode if it fails.

The "crisis situation" has forced 50,000 people out of their homes, leaving them wondering when this will all end. Some schools were also closed on Friday.

The Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA) says a crew was able to see an internal temperature gauge, showing that the temperature has been rising about one degree per hour since Thursday morning.

Now, authorities are preparing for the tank to fail, as well as talking to experts from across the country to find any alternative solutions.

Gov. Gavin Newsom has declared a state of emergency in Orange County, making additional state resources and shelter sites available.

So far, no injuries have been reported.

It was unclear what initially caused the material in the tank to overheat.

Este blog se ofrece en Español, aquí.

KABC logo
May 24, 2026, 4:28 AM

Map shows evacuation order impacting 50,000 Orange County residents

The evacuation zone for a "crisis situation" in Garden Grove spans several blocks. Authorities say 50,000 residents are impacted. They are urging everyone in the zone to leave for their safety immediately.

The evacuation zone covers the area north of Trask Avenue, south of Ball Road, east of Valley View Street and west of Dale Street.

Small portions of West Anaheim, Cypress and Buena Park are also included in the evacuation zone, as well as the city of Stanton.

The Garden Grove Police Department said they did reverse 911 calls and went door to door, urging people to leave. They said as of Friday afternoon, there was about a 15% refusal rate.

A public information hotline was established at 714-628-7085. Another 24-hour call center is available at 714-741-5444.

City News Service contributed to this report.

12:51 PM GMT

List of school closures in evacuation zone

The following schools will be closed until further notice.

Garden Grove School District:

  • Barker Elementary School
  • Bryant
  • Carver
  • Enders Elementary School
  • Garden Park
  • Lawrence Elementary School
  • Wakeham Elementary School
  • Patton Elementary School
  • Bell Intermediate School
  • Alamitos Intermediate
  • Pacifica High School
  • Rancho Alamitos High School
  • Skylark Preschool
  • Maintenance and Operations Facility
  • Lampson Bus Yard

Magnolia School District:

  • Esther L. Walter School (students relocated to Jonas E. Salk)
  • Robert M. Pyles STEM Academy (students relocated to Mattie Lou Maxwell Elementary)

Savanna School District:

  • Hansen Elementary (students were split between Holder School and Twila Reid Elementary School)

Westminster School District:

  • Finley, Johnson, and Sequoia Schools relocated to Stacy Middle School
  • Anderson, Fryberger, Meairs, and Schmitt relocated to Warner Middle School

Cypress School District:

  • Frank Vessels Elementary
  • Juliet Morris Elementary

City News Service, Inc. contributed to this report.

ABCNews logo
12:45 PM GMT

Some 50,000 residents under evacuation orders

Mandatory evacuations have expanded for some 50,000 residents in the Garden Grove area, according to an internal briefing memo reviewed by ABC News.

There are multiple public facilities nearby -- including schools, hospitals, nursing homes, fire and law enforcement stations -- critical infrastructure, and essential services, all currently subject to mandatory evacuation and ongoing response operations.

Multiple roads have also been closed off in the evacuation zone. Evacuation centers have been established across Garden Grove, Cypress, Stanton City Hall, Anaheim, and Buena Park, the memo said.

ABC News contributed to this report.

KABC logo
7:18 AM GMT

Residents file class action lawsuit over unstable chemical tank in Garden Grove

GKN Aerospace, the company responsible for the unstable chemical tank in Garden Grove, is already facing a class action lawsuit.

GKN Aerospace, the company responsible for the unstable chemical tank in Garden Grove, is already facing a class action lawsuit over the potential disaster.

Two residents who live in the evacuation zone are named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit, but with 50,000 under evacuation orders, that number is expected to grow.

The lawyers behind the suit say evacuated families deserve answers, accountability and representation now. They say they're focused on protecting property rights, preserving evidence and making sure residents have a voice.

"You got to consider the fact that when you're storing highly toxic, highly volatile chemical compounds, you take on a responsibility. These are things that can be lethal in very small doses. and can create massive damage. So, if you don't act in a prudent way, you become responsible for your actions," said Filippo Marchino, the founder and managing partner of the X-Law Group.

The X-Law Group and Presidio Law Firm are leading the class action lawsuit.

They say, conservatively, the damages could reach into the hundreds of millions or billions of dollars.

Amy Powell Image
6:52 AM GMT

Orange County shelters fill as residents evacuate due to tank crisis

Most of the available shelters for Orange County residents are at or near capacity, with tens of thousands of residents displaced.

The evacuation zone for a toxic chemical crisis unfolding in Orange County covers the west side of Garden Grove, the entire community of Stanton, and small portions of West Anaheim, Cypress and Buena Park. There are nine shelters set up, and almost all of them are completely full.

It was another night away from home for tens of thousands of Orange County residents. The threat of a catastrophic explosion or a toxic leak at a Garden Grove plant forced mandatory evacuations.

Many families are spending a second night sleeping on cots at John F. Kennedy High School in La Palma.

Ju Pyo, her husband and three children had no luck finding a hotel room, so they came to the shelter.

"We are the last family allowed to come in at this point. It was like 10:30 or 11 in the morning. So we are lucky," Pyo said.

Several shelters have been opened to support residents of Garden Grove and at least a half dozen surrounding communities forced to evacuate because of the danger.

The Red Cross is providing the families with meals and supplies.

"Gotta go somewhere safe, right? Gotta think about the kids," said Jessica Gonzalez of Stanton.

Some residents are expressing frustration about the amount of time it's taking to solve the crisis.

"If there's an explosion, there's going to be stuff in the air, and if there's a leak, there's going to be stuff in the air. So, what is the choice?" said resident Lisa. "We all want to be in our homes."

Others say they don't want to take chances. They will wait until the danger is over.

"They're all experts working all together to find an answer," said Pyo.