Flames nearly consume passed-out man

Fire spread to a nearby apartment building
HUNTINGTON PARK County firefighters responded to a blaze at 12:32 a.m. in the 7800 block of California Avenue.

The man reportedly passed out in the car with the engine running. He was parked in the carport of an apartment building. Neighbors were prompted to call the authorities when they heard the vehicle's tires exploding from reaction with the heat.

After discovering the man inside, firefighters kicked out the car windows and pulled him to safety. The flames then began to spread to a nearby apartment building, according to county fire Capt. Ken Wiles.

The man was taken to an area hospital. However, police are withholding his name and condition.

 

Click here for more headlines from ABC7 Eyewitness News

Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.