One-hundred-fifty firefighters were on the scene to tackle the blaze, which officials believe started in an abandoned soundstage on the corner of Gage and Gramercy. Next door is Campbell Glass Shop. The owner says he and about 20 employees were inside when the fire raced into his business.
More than a dozen vehicles parked on the street were completely incinerated from radiant heat. At one point firefighters were pulled out of the commercial structures because of the threat of collapse.
A massive plume of black smoke could be seen for miles.
The intense flames weren't far from houses in the neighborhood, but residents were told to stay put.