Report details zookeeper-elephant infection

SAN DIEGO The incident happened last year and infected at least 20 workers. The female calf was euthanized as a result.

The report shows that a zookeeper who was hand-feeding the female baby elephant, infected the elephant, and she then spread the infection to other handlers.

The deadly bacteria is spread through skin to skin contact.

None of handlers suffered serious skin infections.

The CDC says the best way to avoid getting infected is to practice proper hand hygiene and protect yourself from skin lesions.

This is the first time a zoo elephant has been infected with /*MRSA*/ and the first known transmission of the superbug from zoo animals to humans.


MORE L.A. BREAKING NEWS, WEATHER, TRAFFIC, SPORTS

USEFUL LINKS:
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 ||  WIDGET

Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.