This is the second year of the Summer Night Lights program. Last year, officials say communities experienced a 17 percent drop in violent gang-related crime, an 86 percent reduction in homicides and a 23 percent decrease in aggravated assaults.
"This is our chance to build on last summer's success and take back our parks and our communities," said Mayor Villaraigosa.
The mayor says the Summer Night Lights program gives kids opportunities and a safe place to spend the summer.
The participating parks and locations are:
- Cypress Park Recreation Center - Northeast
- Denker Recreation Center - Southwest
- Edward R. Roybal Learning Center - Rampart
- Glassell Park - Northeast
- Harvard Recreation Center - 77th Division
- Hubert Humphrey - Pacoima/Foothill
- Imperial Courts Recreation Center - Watts/Southeast
- Jim Gilliam Park - Baldwin Village/ Southwest
- Jordan Downs Recreation Center - Watts/Southeast
- Lemon Grove Recreation Center - Hollywood
- Mount Carmel Park - Florence-Graham/ 77th Division
- Nickerson Gardens Recreation Center - Watts/Southeast
- Ramon Garcia Recreation Center - Boyle Heights/ Hollenbeck
- Ross Snyder Recreation Center - Newton
- Hubert Humphrey Memorial Park - Pacoima/ Foothill
- Ramona Gardens Recreation Center - Hollenbeck