Michael Jackson's doctor speaks out

ENCINO, Calif. Dr. Arnold Klein, Jackson's friend and dermatologist for more than 25 years, tells "Good Morning America" that he's not one of those facing investigation and that he never prescribed the dangerous drugs in question.

"I was not one of the doctors who participated in giving him overdoses of drugs or too much of anything," Klein said in an interview that aired Wednesday. "In fact, I was the one who limited everything, who stopped everything."

Klein said he met with Jackson three days before the pop star's sudden death on June 25. The UCLA Medical School professor said he saw no signs of trouble during the visit.

"He danced in the office. He danced for my patients," he said.

"I saw nothing at that point in time that would make me worry whatsoever, but I was always concerned about him because I was always worried about other doctors."

The powerful sedative Diprivan, also known as Propofol and usually administered by anesthesiologists in hospitals, was found in Jackson's home, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person wasn't authorized to comment about the matter.

Klein is disputing reports that he is one of the doctors police are investigating in connection with Jackson's death.

"I'm not one of the five doctors. I've not been examined by anyone. I'm not being contacted by the police in Los Angeles," he said.

Klein has also been linked to Jackson's children. There is speculation in the tabloids that he may actually be the father.

"All I can tell you is best of my knowledge, I'm not the father of these children," he said.

Klein said he diagnosed Jackson with Lupus and was treating him for a skin disorder that made his skin blotchy. He says it was treatment for that disorder that led to Jackson's skin being so white.

Jackson's life was celebrated in song and celebration during his memorial service at Staples Center Tuesday.

It was a star-studded lineup of performers that took part in the massive public memorial. Jackson was honored as an unparalleled singer, dancer and humanitarian, a man whose music united the world.

There were several emotional tributes during the service, but it was Jackson's 11-year-old daughter Paris who truly touched everyone's hearts.

"Ever since I was born, daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine. And I just want to say I love him, so much," she said through tears.

About 20,000 people gathered inside Staples Center for the spiritual service, and millions more watched all around the world, as family and friends remembered a man they can't believe they lost.

"Somehow, when Michael Jackson sang and when he danced, we never felt distant. We felt like he was right there, right for us. You believed in Michael, and he believed in you. He made you believe in yourself," said Queen Latifah, Jackson's friend.

The ceremony ended with Jackson's family on stage, amid a choir singing "Heal the World."

Fans lingered around the Staples Center for hours after the service ended. Many said they just wanted to be in the same place as people who understood their sorrow.

"We grew up on Michael Jackson. Everybody loves Michael Jackson. His songs touched me, his life, his legacy, his humanitarianism," said Katrina Richardson, a Jackson fan.

Although there was a heavy police presence in case of unruly crowds, LAPD said there were no serious crowd problems.

As the world honored the King of Pop, officials released his death certificate. The cause of death has been listed as deferred until neuropathology tests are completed on Jackson's brain.

No one knows where Jackson will be buried because the family has not said yet.

Permission is needed to bury him at his former home, Neverland Ranch. A private memorial was held at a cemetery in the Hollywood Hills that is the resting place of many stars, but it does not appear Jackson will be buried among them.

It also remains unknown where the body is at this point.

Residents near Michael Jackson's family estate in Encino attended a meeting Wednesday night to talk about the fans and media that continue to gather outside the home.

"It's been two weeks, and I think people have really celebrated and honored the life of this man, who's a genius, and now I think it's really time that they let the family be alone," said resident Dianne Hubner.

Hayvenhurst Avenue was fully reopened and is now subect to regular parking restrictions, according to the LAPD.

Workers began clearing out the memorial in front of the home on Wednesday, and police said they hoped to have everything cleared out by evening. Fans visiting the Jackson family home were not allowed to put anything else down.

"We're all new to this, and it's kind of fun at first, seeing all the people running around," said resident John Hunter.

"But now it's time to move on."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Report Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc7 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2023 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.