- Related: Michael Jackson's death certificate
- Related: Fact check: Michael Jackson plasticized?
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
The 30-by-26-inch painting shows a smiling Jackson in a red jacket from his "/*Thriller*/" days. Pre-sale estimates ranged anywhere from $1 million to $10 million.
There's renewed interest in all things Jackson since his death. His albums are back at the top of the charts.
Gallery co-owner Janet Lehr says in a statement she wants to offer the 1984 work to "the greatest number of prospective purchasers." She did not immediately return inquiries for comment Monday.
The portrait is reportedly owned by a New York collector.
- Video: Complete video coverage of Michael Jackson
- Video: Jackson rehearsing 2 days before death
- Photos: Michael Jackson public memorial
- Photos: Celebs attend Jackson memorial