- Interactive map: See map of affected area
- Photos: Multi-vehicle collision closes 10
- Video: Major big rig crash shuts down 10 Freeway
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
CHP officials said a big rig carrying a load of toys was making the transition from the northbound 605 to the eastbound 10 when he lost control and skidded into the center divider just after 2:30 a.m.
The big rig ended up in westbound lanes, triggering several more accidents.
CHP Sgt. Jesse Holguin said speed may have been a factor.
"Couldn't maneuver the turn there, caused him to overturn, so that was the initial cause," Holguin said.
The driver of the big rig was injured and was transported to a local hospital in unknown condition.
Another big rig traveling westbound was side-swiped by a pickup truck, and then authorities said two other passenger vehicles got involved in the crash.
The driver of another vehicle was also taken to a local hospital with unknown injuries.