• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Michael Jackson doctor interrupted CPR

March 22, 2010 12:00:00 AM PDT
Documents obtained by The Associated Press allege that Michael Jackson's doctor stopped CPR on the King of Pop and delayed calling 911 so he could collect drug vials in the room.Jackson's logistics director, Alberto Alvarez, gave investigators on August 31 an account of what happened the day the pop star died.

His statement and those from two other Jackson employees also obtained by the AP paint a grisly scene in Jackson's bedroom.

Alvarez was summoned to the singer's side by another Jackson aide who received a frantic call from Dr. Conrad Murray after the singer was unresponsive.

Alvarez told investigators that he rushed to Jackson's room and saw the star lying in his bed, an IV attached to his leg. Jackson's mouth was agape, eyes open and there was no sign of life. Murray worked frantically, at one point performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while Alvarez took over CPR.

Two of the star's children, Prince and Paris, came in the room and cried as they saw Murray trying to save their father. A nanny was called to usher them away and they were taken to wait outside in a vehicle.

Alvarez says Murray stopped CPR so he could hand him drug vials. He adds that he was told to put them in a bag.

Murray's lawyer, Ed Chernoff, says the logistics director was interviewed twice by police and gave different accounts of what happened in Jackson's bedroom. During the first interview, he made no mention of being told to tidy away medicine vials.

"He didn't say any of those things, then two months later, all of a sudden, the doc is throwing bottles into the bag," Chernoff said. "Alvarez's statement is inconsistent with his previous statement. We will deal with that at trial."

California Attorney General Jerry Brown's office has asked a court to suspend Murray's license pending the outcome of criminal proceedings against him.

The documents also detail an odd encounter with Murray after Jackson was declared dead at UCLA Medical Center.

Murray insisted he needed to return to the mansion to get cream that Jackson had "so the world wouldn't find out about it," according to the statements, which provide no elaboration.

A coroner's report found that Jackson died from an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol and two other sedatives administered by Murray on June 25. The singer was 50 years old.

Murray, a Caribbean born physician who had been hired by the superstar to look after his health during a rigorous comeback tour, told police he gave Jackson propofol and other sedatives to help him sleep.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.