/*Monica Beresford-Redman*/ was found beaten and strangled on April 8 near a /*Cancun*/ resort where she and her husband were vacationing. Mexican authorities had labeled Bruce as a person of interest since the start of the /*homicide*/ investigation.
Authorities in Cancun told Bruce to remain in the country, but he left and returned to California after his attorney claimed that Bruce was under no legal restraint to stay in Mexico.
The couple's two children are under the guardianship of Bruce's parents.
/*ABC News*/ learned that Bruce bought two life insurance policies for each member of his family just days before their trip.
One policy from HTH Worldwide Insurance would pay $50,000 in case of accidental death while traveling. The second policy from InsureMyTrip.com would pay a considerably higher amount of $500,000. This has further angered Monica's friends and family.
Bruce's attorney Richard Hirsch said that the children are the beneficiaries listed on those insurance policies and not Bruce.
Upon receiving the news of the arrest warrant, Hirsch released a statement saying that he believes the Mexican authorities are handling the case "in a manner outside the normal procedures in Mexico."
"It is our understanding that the issuance of an arrest warrant normally entails a detailed judicial review that takes anywhere from several weeks to several months. It appears that the way this matter is being handled constitutes a rush to judgment. Mr. Beresford-Redman is innocent of this crime and is prepared to defend himself in a court of law," Hirsch said in the statement.
Legal analyst James E. Blancarte says that under the U.S.-Mexico Treaty of Extradition, an arrest warrant would not have been issued without sufficient evidence.
"The U.S. Federal authorities now have to review that extradition package and the evidence that supported that arrest warrant and decide if they agree that if Mr. Redman is an appropriate person to be part of the extradition treaty and to be surrendered to Mexico for prosecution in that country for the murder of his wife," sad Blancarte.
The statement also included an excerpt from Bruce.
"Monica was the axis around which our whole family revolved. From her sisters and parents to my parents and of course to our children and me, she was everything to us. I am devastated at her loss; and I am incensed at the suggestion that I could have had anything to do with her death. I am innocent. My children have had one parent taken from them by a senseless act of violence. I implore the Mexican authorities not to take their remaining parent by a miscarriage of justice and to do what is right not just what is expedient," Bruce said in the statement.
Hirsch has said previously that if his client is charged with murder, they'll fight extradition to Mexico.
Monica's family said they're relieved to learn of the latest developments, and they say they have hope now that Monica will get the justice she deserves.
They also had some pointed words for Bruce.
"As for Bruce, we do not buy his newly found contrition. It has been 56 days since Monica was brutally murdered. At no point during that time, did he or his family reach out to the Burgos family [Monica's family] to express their sympathy or share in their grieving. Bruce never made any effort to locate Monica nor did he assist the Mexican authorities in their investigation. The only thing that Bruce Beresford-Redman has done since the day Monica went missing was request and pay for her immediate cremation. If in fact he is innocent then he should have no problem waiving extradition proceedings and returning to Mexico to defend himself. However, if he is guilty, then shame on him for exploiting his children, he should have considered them before committing this senseless and brutal act of domestic violence upon their mother."
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com