Riverside house fire destroys home, kills dog

RIVERSIDE, Calif. The fire started at around 4:40 a.m., and officials believe it was sparked by an electrical problem. A witness reported the fire in the 4900 block of Red Bluff Road, near Challen Avenue and Noble Street.

A couple and their son were able to escape the flames without injury. However, the family dog was found dead on the home's back patio, where the fire was believed to have started.

Authorities said that family members recalled a faint smell of smoke around midnight, but they did not repot it.

The house was destroyed in the fire, with the loss amounting to approximately $200,000. The home burned for about 40 minutes before fire crews put it out.

The American Red Cross was dispatched to help the family find temporary lodging.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup

Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.