Shoppers warned about lead in reusable bags

LOS ANGELES Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said the lead could rub off on food and be ingested.

"Guess where most of these bags are made? China. A country that has flaunted safety rules when it comes to American imports," said Schumer.

"It can do great deal of damage to the brain. It can do a great deal of damage to the nerves and the arms and the legs, but you have to ingest it," said neurologist Arthur Weiss.

Schumer said he plans to contact the /*Food and Drug Administration*/ and Environmental Protection Agency about the issue.

Consumers are being encouraged to throw away the bags made in China.

Several grocery stores have already pulled the products from their stores.

Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.