Video apparently shows suspects in Bryan Stow beating at Dodger game


The two men arrested Thursday can apparently be seen in the stands in a home video taken at that game. The person who shot the video said detectives were investigating reports of a pair of unruly fans.

The suspects were not the intended subject of the video, but were incidentally captured in the background by a fan. At least one of the men can clearly be seen wearing a Dodgers jersey.

Rialto residents Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, were arrested and held on $500,000 bail. They were charged with one count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury - all felonies. Sanchez was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from a separate incident the same day.

According to the felony complaint, Stow's assailants "did cut and disable the tongue, and put out an eye and slit the nose, ear and lip."

The two men are expected to appear for arraignment at Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday.

If convicted, Sanchez faces a possible maximum state prison term of nine years and Norwood faces a possible maximum eight-year term, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office.

Doreen Sanchez, Louie Sanchez's 31-year-old sister and Norwood's girlfriend, was also arrested on suspicion of being an accessory to the crime. She also appears to be in the home video.

Dorene Sanchez posted $50,000 bail Friday. She has not been formally charged, but has a court date for Aug. 19. The district attorney's office has until that time to file.

The original suspect, Giovanni Ramirez, was cleared in the case, but remains in jail on a separate parole violation.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said detectives acted in good faith in arresting Ramirez based on the information they had at the time.

"I think it's important to recognize that the Los Angeles Police Department truly believes that it's just as important to exonerate the innocent as it is to implicate the guilty, and that's what we did in this case," he said. "Sometimes it takes longer than all of us would like, but that is just the nature of the business."

Stow was severely beaten March 31, the Dodgers' first game of the season against the Giants.

The 42-year-old paramedic was hospitalized in critical condition. His family said that after a recent setback, he has been improving at San Francisco General Hospital.

Copyright © 2023 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.