The firms will be part of NASA's Flight Opportunities Program.
All the companies will be given two-year contracts, worth a combined total of $10 million.
They will allow NASA to draw from a pool of commercial space companies to deliver payload integration and flight services.
"Through this catalog approach, NASA is moving toward the goal of making frequent, low-cost access to near-space available to a wide range of engineers, scientists and technologists," said NASA Chief Technologist Bobby Braun.
The selected companies are:
- Armadillo Aerospace, Heath, Texas
- Near Space Corp., Tillamook, Ore.
- Masten Space Systems, Mojave, Calif.
- Up Aerospace Inc., Highlands Ranch, Colo.
- Virgin Galactic, Mojave, Calif.
- Whittinghill Aerospace LLC, Camarillo, Calif.
- XCOR, Mojave, Calif.