Propane blast hospitalizes man in Coachella

COACHELLA, Calif.

Authorities said the extreme desert heat forced two propane tanks in the man's truck bed to leak. That combined with static electricity caused a huge explosion.

The driver of the truck was hospitalized, while his three passengers escaped uninjured. More than a dozen people at a nearby McDonald's were evacuated.

Fire officials are warning people to be very careful if transporting propane on extremely hot days.

Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.