Chemistry experiment goes wrong at East Valley High School, sends 4 to hospital

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES

A chemistry teacher at the school at 5525 Vineland Ave. apparently mistook sulfuric acid for nitric acid in a classroom experiment, causing a spill and dangerous fumes to fill the lab. By mid-afternoon, the teacher, along with a female teacher in her 30s, a 16-year-old male student and a second student, were hospitalized.

"The students that were in the class and adjoining classes were checked out by the fire department to be sure that they were OK," said Carrie Allen, the school principal, adding that they were not seriously hurt.

The entire campus was evacuated about 1:30 p.m. while a hazardous-materials team worked to contain the noxious chemical mixture. A dozen other students were evaluated.

A stretch of Vineland Avenue in front of the school was closed as authorities investigated the incident.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.