Boston Marathon bombing: Second suspect in custody, alive


Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was bleeding badly when he was found, sources told ABC News. Beth Israel Medical Center later confirmed Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was transported to their facility. He was listed in serious condition.

When the suspect's father was told that his son was taken into custody alive, he said in Russian, "Thank God," and started to cry. He then said to his son, "Tell police everything. Everything. Just be honest."

Four days after the twin blasts at the Boston Marathon that killed three people and injured more than 180 others, the manhunt for the suspects was finally over.

In an interview with ABC News, George Pizzuto said his neighbor, David Henneberry, discovered a body in his boat and immediately reported it to police.

"He looked and noticed something was off about his boat, so he got his ladder, and he put his ladder up on the side of the boat and climbed up, and then he saw blood on it, and he thought he saw what was a body," Pizzuto said.

Law enforcement officers surrounded a house on Franklin Street, and residents were warned to stay indoors and "shelter in place." Gunshots erupted, and then a few hours later, the crowd gathered near the scene let out a cheer when spectators saw officers clapping.

Investigators believe that after the deadly explosion, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev went back to University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Wednesday and had a normal day. Based on card swipes, he went to the gym and slept in his dorm, a school official said.

Obama, Boston reacts to bombing suspect's capture

As news of the suspect's arrest spread, a cheer went up all around Boston, a city that had been on lock down all day long. Moments later, the official words came: Suspect No. 2 was captured.

"Tonight, we feel a tremendous sense of gratitude, and relief," said U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz. "The ordeal that this community, especially this neighborhood, has endured over the last 24 hours, tonight, we can sleep a bit easier."

President Barack Obama addressed the nation after Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was taken into custody.

"One thing we do know is that whatever hateful agenda drove these men to such heinous acts will not, cannot prevail," Mr. Obama said. "Whatever they thought they could ultimately achieve, they've already failed. They've failed because the people of Boston refuse to be intimidated. They've failed because as Americans, we refuse to be terrorized."

Though many celebrated around Boston, it was a very different scene at the site of the marathon bombings on Boylston Street. Thousands of people paid their respects at a growing memorial honoring those killed and injured in Monday's bombings.

In a statement, the family of 8-year-old Martin Richard, who was the youngest victim in the bombings, thanked law enforcement for bringing Boston's days of terror to an end:

"None of this will bring our beloved Martin back, or reverse the injuries these men inflicted on our family and nearly 200 others. We continue to pray for healing and for comfort on the long road that lies ahead for every victim and their loved ones."

Final 24 hours in manhunt for bombing suspects

The search intensified Thursday night following a robbery at a 7-Eleven in Cambridge, Mass. Police later determined that the Chechen brothers were not involved in the 7-Eleven robbery. But a short time later, the suspects allegedly shot and killed a campus police officer, 26-year-old Sean Collier, at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The suspects then carjacked a Mercedes SUV in Cambridge and were chased to Watertown, Mass.

According to ABC News, the person who was carjacked told authorities that the suspects told him they were responsible for Monday's bombing. The vehicle was spotted by police at about 12:50 a.m., sparking a chase. Several explosives were thrown at officers from the vehicle, and a gun battle broke out. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was shot, and then according to sources, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev ran over his wounded brother as he tried to flee police. He abandoned his car and fled on foot.

One transit police officer, 33-year-old Richard Donohue Jr., was struck in the gun battle and is at Auburn Hospital in critical condition. Fifteen other officers were wounded. Hospital spokesman Chris Murphy described their wounds as primarily "musculoskeletal," such as "abrasions, bruises, strains, sprains and fall injuries." All the officers were treated, and the majority have been discharged. The hospital expects all the officers to be discharged by the end of the day.

The 19-year-old is believed to be the white-capped suspect caught on surveillance video in the Boston Marathon bombings. Police described Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as a "terrorist" that has "come here to kill people."

Federal law enforcement sources told ABC News that the suspects are believed to have paramilitary training based on the way they engaged with officers.

As officers searched for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Friday, Watertown residents were advised not leave their homes or answer their doors unless it is an identified police officer. The advisory was lifted about three hours before Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was taken into custody.

All Boston public school activities were canceled Friday, and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority suspended service through the afternoon, but service has since resumed. All taxi service was temporarily suspended, but it was restored by 11 a.m. ET.

ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.