According to the U.S. Forest Service, the Mountain Fire was 100 percent contained as of 6 p.m. Tuesday.
The blaze, which started on July 15 at Mountain Center, charred 27,531 acres. Twenty-three structures were destroyed, including seven homes. Authorities say the wildfire was sparked by electrical equipment failure on private property.
Residents and visitors may still see smoke toward the north end of the fire due to the heavy fuels smoldering within the perimeter of the fire.
All Forest Service campgrounds and day-use areas located along Highway 243 remain closed to the public. The San Jacinto Wilderness, San Jacinto State Park Wilderness and all hiking and mountain biking trails out of the Hurkey Creek County Campground area and the May Valley area remain closed as well.
The Forest Service says the total cost of the fire to date is $25.8 million.